Thank you for visiting the Berwick Middle School Website. I am immensely proud to have joined this fantastic school as headteacher in January 2018. As a teacher and a father to two boys I am very much aware of the importance that education plays in shaping the lives of young people and I seek to work with parents and carers to help provide the very best opportunities for every single pupil at Berwick Middle School. I wish the same for every pupil at Berwick Middle as I do of my own children:
- To be safe, happy and healthy
- To be treated as an individual
- To achieve educational excellence no matter what their starting point
- To develop a love of learning and the skills to be able to unlock future learning
- To experience opportunities to broaden their understanding and develop an ability to cope with the world around them...its people, places and challenges
- To develop ambition and resilience to achieve their dreams
- To develop confidence and an ability to articulate themselves to demonstrate their best traits
In December the school was graded as ‘Good’ by Ofsted, who commented that:
‘The school has a friendly and hardworking environment and pupils are taught very well across a range of different subjects.’
‘Teaching continues to improve…and is consistently strong across the school.’
‘Pupils’ attitudes to their learning are exemplary’
‘Staff work hard to ensure that pupils access a well-rounded education and a wide range of extra-curricular activities’
It is my aim to build on and enhance these strengths to ensure that every pupil in the school can be the very best that they can be. Middle schools provide the best of all worlds; they are small enough to ensure that we treat each pupil as an individual in a caring and supportive environment but are able to offer specialist teaching and facilities that pupils in other schools would not have access to.
I value the importance of the school’s relationship with parents and carers. There are a number of opportunities available for parents to become involved in the life of the school as a governor or as part of the Berwick Middle Parents, Teachers and Friends Association. In addition to this I will be starting a parents’ forum that will provide an opportunity to share views with the school.
At Berwick Middle we endeavour to ensure that everyone can:
- Be involved
- Make a difference
- Strive to succeed
We are proud of our school and all that we achieve together and we look forward to meeting and working with you. If you wish to visit the school or make an appointment to speak with me please contact the main office.