Mr Ben Ryder
Thank you for showing an interest in Berwick Middle School. We offer pupils the very best education where pupils access a challenging and engaging curriculum with specialist teachers across a broad range of subjects. In 2019 we celebrated our best ever results, making us one of the highest performing middle schools in Northumberland. Staff strive to ensure that every one of our pupils fulfils or exceeds their potential. Ofsted rated Berwick Middle School as ‘Good’ in all areas noting that:
- The school has a friendly and hardworking environment and pupils are taught very well across a range of different subjects.’
- ‘Teaching continues to improve…and is consistently strong across the school.’
- ‘Pupils’ attitudes to their learning are exemplary’
- ‘Staff work hard to ensure that pupils access a well-rounded education and a wide range of extra-curricular activities’
- ‘There is a strong, tangible ethos of learning in classrooms’
- ‘Pupils work together extremely well and as a result, support and develop each others’ learning and confidence.’
As a small and caring school we have an excellent support network for pupils. In addition to form tutors and heads of year, the school has a team of learning mentors as well as access to a range of support from external partners. We have created the ‘Hub’, a base in school where intervention, individual and group support takes place and this room is staffed throughout the day, including break and lunchtimes, ensuring that pupils always have somewhere to go if they need it. Pupils undertake enrichment activities three times a week when they experience fun and engaging activities beyond their normal learning. In addition to this, pupils undertake a weekly wellbeing session, based on the 10 Keys to Happier Living. Pupil leadership is a strength of the school and we have a large number of opportunities for pupils to develop their leadership skills around the school.
We are lucky to have extensive outdoor space for sport and wellbeing, including a secret garden and a number of playing fields and yards. We continue to invest in the indoor facilities including a refurbished sports hall and changing facilities and new Art and Design Technology rooms. We benefit from specialist staff in all year groups and dedicated facilities for food technology, design technology, science and art.
As a parent to two boys, I am committed to ensuring that we offer the same to every pupil at Berwick Middle School as we do for our own children. Overall we strive to ensure that every pupil:
- Is safe, happy and healthy
- Is treated as an individual
- Achieves educational excellence no matter what their starting point
- Develops a love of learning and the skills to be able to unlock future lifelong learning
- Has the opportunity to broaden their understanding of the world around them
- Develops ambition and resilience
- Develops confidence and an ability to articulate themselves to demonstrate their best traits.
We have redesigned our curriculum in 2021 and I would urge you to visit our curriculum page to find out about the exciting opportunities on offer, I would encourage prospective parents and pupils to explore our website and our Facebook page. If you would like any further information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at school.